Welcome to the Louisville Public Library Foundation
The Louisville Public Library Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, community-based organization. Each year, the Foundation raises money to buy books and other library materials and supports thought-provoking and entertaining programming for all ages.
The Foundation enriches our community by building support and raising money to enhance the Library’s programs and services. Our generous donors provide support for those things that are above and beyond what public funding provides.
Your contribution helps us provide the following to the quarter of a million annual Library visitors:
- A free book for each of the 1,700 kids and teens who finish the yearly Summer Reading Program
- Equipment, supplies and teachers for the Makerspace
- Hundreds of new books, DVDs, and e-books each year
- Performers and supplies for most of the Library’s children’s programs (over 600 last year)
- All expenses related to On The Same Page, the annual community read project
- The saltwater aquarium in the Children’s area
Foundation Board plaque presentation to Anne Burton,
sister of the largest donor to the Library Foundation, Marian Madison (August 2017)
About the Library
The Louisville Public Library has experienced tremendous growth in the ten years that it’s been in its current building, and it continues to serve as a vital cornerstone of the community.
Some figures from 2015:
- 238,767 total library visitors (up 33% from 2006)
- 494,889 items checked out (up 47% from 2006)
- 30,000,000 items available for checkout in the Prospector catalog
- 600 children’s programs and events
- 21,473 program attendees (up 254% from 2006)
- 98% of Louisville residents rating library service as “Good” or “Excellent”
Ways to Give
In addition to the Foundation’s annual utility bill fundraising campaign in November, we’ve also made it easy to make an online donation here.
You can contribute to the Foundation in the following ways:
Corporate Giving: Local businesses and service clubs support our Makerspace and the breadth of programs offered at the Louisville Public Library. Help the Library achieve its Strategic Plan’s first goal to ‘Build Community’.
Matching Gifts: Some employers will match their employees’ charitable gifts. You can check with your Human Resources department to see if your company supports a matching plan.
Supporting the Endowment: The endowment is a long-term investment fund that supports the future of the Library. Each year the Foundation uses funds from the endowment’s earnings and interest to fund the services and materials mentioned below, while assuring that the principal remains in place.
Tribute Gifts: Some of our donors give to celebrate birthdays or special events or to remember friends and family members at their passing. A tax-deductible donation of $30 or more allows a library staff member to select a book or books to commemorate a loved one, inscribing a memorial book plate with the honoree’s name. Contact Jill Siewert at (303) 335-4812 for more information.
Planned Giving: A gift through your will or living trust contributes to the long-term sustainability of the Library Foundation’s endowment and is a commitment to the future of library service to area residents. After consulting with your attorney and financial planner, please let us know if you intend a charitable contribution to the Library Foundation to help ensure that future generations will know the rewards of an excellent public library.